UPSC IAS Preliminary Examination Syllabus 2016
Syllabus of Paper I -(200 marks) Duration : Two hours
- Current events of national and international importance.
- History of India and Indian National Movement.
- Indian and World Geography-Physical, Social, Economic.
- Geography of India and the World.
- Indian Polity and Governance-Constitution, Political.
- System, Panchayati Raj, Public Policy, Rights Issues, etc.
- Economic and Social Development-Sustainable.
- Development, Poverty, Inclusion, Demographics, Social.
- Sector Initiatives, etc.
- General issues on Environmental ecology, Bio-diversity and Climate Change - that do not require subject specialization and Climate Change - that do not require subject specialization.
Syllabus for Paper II-(200 marks) Duration: Two hours(Qualifying)
- Interpersonal skills including communication skills;
- Logical reasoning and analytical ability
- Decision making and problem solving
- General mental ability
- Basic numeracy (numbers and their relations, orders of magnitude, etc.) (Class X level), Data interpretation (charts, graphs, tables, data sufficiency etc. - Class X level)
Note: It is mandatory for the candidate to appear in both the Papers of Civil Services (Prelim) Examination for the purpose of evaluation. Therefore a candidate will be disqualified in case he/she does not appear in both the papers of Civil Services (Prelim) Examination.